Despite daily brushing and flossing, bacteria can still accumulate on teeth surfaces, which can lead to gingivitis and periodontal disease (gum diseases). Studies have demonstrated that scale and clean at the dentist combined with daily home care, helps control gingivitis and Periodontal disease.
At Shell Cove Dental, we advise all patients to attend for regular check-ups and clean every 6 months. Scale, clean and polish at regular maintenance appointments slows progression of gum disease and ensures long term optimum Oral health.
Fluoride is a naturally occurring compound found in water that has many benefits in dental health. Many Studies have highlighted benefits of both Systemic fluoride (water fluoridation) and topical fluoride (contained in toothpaste, mouth rinses, Fluoride gel/varnishes). Water fluoridation in community enables fluoride levels to be incorporated and controlled in water, hereby allowing ingestion of fluoride from a young age; incorporating into young developing enamel and making them more resistant to dental cavities. Water fluoridation has been shown to reduce dental decay in teeth by 20-40%.
Although fluoride is present in water and toothpaste, sometimes it is not enough to prevent dental decay due to a number of reasons including high sugar diet or deficiencies in saliva. Dentists may recommend topical application of fluoride to your teeth at regular 6 monthly intervals to strengthen the tooth structure to further prevent cavities by reversing the early stages of dental decay and promoting remineralisation of enamel. For optimal Oral health, both adults and children require both topical and systemic fluoride, and we provide this at Shell Cove Dental.
We recommend all patients carry out their everyday brushing by:
Modified Stillman’s and Bass technique for Brushing
Flossing is important because toothbrushing alone only removes 50-60% of plaque, leaving behind over 40% of plaque in between your teeth.
Tips for flossing:
Your dentist may also recommend you use interdental brushes, such as piksters, in conjunction with flossing, to help with plaque control at home.
Dental X-rays are valuable during your dental check-up as they provide information regarding your teeth, jaw and any associated dental disease. Tooth decay for example, is not always visible to the human eye but may be picked up through an X-ray.
The Australian Dental Association acknowledges that X-rays can be safely taken inside and outside of your mouth with the help of modern digital, low dosage X-rays.
The amount of radiation from X-rays is very low and often equivalent to the same exposure you might receive on 1-2 hours of flight time.
There are many types of X-rays used in a dental setting but the three X-rays commonly used are:
Bitewing X-rays help detect cavities, missing teeth, localised infections associated with teeth, and shows the quality of existing fillings and root canal treated teeth.
Full mouth X-rays gives dentists a wide X-ray view. Both the upper and lower jaw are displayed to allow the dentist to analyse jaw joints, alveolar bone levels, gum disease, missing teeth or any other pathological conditions associated with jaw.
Cone beam X-rays are valuable in detecting pathological lesions, which are not clearly visible on full mouth X-ray. This is important to help treatment planning for Orthodontics, Dental extractions and Implant dentistry.